Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The 1st interview

I had my 1st interview in Bangi as a graduate 2 days ago. It's inevitably hard to shake off the fear and worries despite my attempt to calm down. I've written scripts on "describe yourself" at home but when asked, my mind wasn't straight. Rather, I answered what normal people won't speak of such as "this is my 1st interview after graduation" and "I have no experience in this field at all". Then I expected questions such as "why should we hire you?" or "what do you see in the next 2 years?" thrown at me. Instead, they directly asked related to my academic.

Interviewer: Do you know what is HPLC?
Jino: Yes, I do. We used that machine during one of our practical lab works in uni.
Interviewer: Then can you briefly describe how the machine works?
Jino: ... (shit) (trying to recall)
Interviewer: Is there mobile phase? Column?
Jino: /nod head. Yea and that machine separates substances based on... (trying to recall again).
Interviewer: Polarity?
Jino: /smile. Yes, polarity.

HPLC is a technique which appeared everywhere in my syllabus but the tension had me not recalled anything. I did my homework but there's no way I could cover 3 years of studies in a short time. HPLC was one that I forgot to read up and I've screwed up as you can see. Then they convert the question to UV spectrophotometer and finally the job scope. When the interview came close to an end, they disclosed the salary of that position which honestly, was a disappointment. I am not expecting much to begin with (Who am I? Only a fresh graduate), but I insisted on the interview so that I can prepare myself better for the future, mentally and academically. This is a good lesson, I did it for experience, better than none at the least. Study before interview!

There's slim chance they will call me again due to my performance. If by chance they ring me up, I have to think double twice as the company restricts employees to work in the same field within 3 years after resigning. That's what I was told. I may misheard.

My ex, XB had succeeded in an interview and will start his job as a customer service officer in Damansara. He introduced me to an agent that links to the same company as his, hoping that we will work together. As a fresh graduate the offered salary is very tempting. However, 10 years of science followed by customer service, to me, is really a turn off.




[Jino] - A man's not a man unless he knows how to shoot

12 comments:

  1. all the best =) just be calm and collect... (easier to be said than done, though)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They cannot restrict you..eventhough they may have it in the contract. Employers have lost in many such cases.

    Just take the interview like another Q&A session on what you have studied, what do you see yourself and expect in the short, medium and long term etc.

    As much as you are being interviewed, you are also interviewing the other party.

    I am sure you know what I mean. After all you are a product of the stripes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If this cant, there always next time..hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. My bestie started with a sub 2k salary in chemistry. She has very good prospects now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. u'll find ur dream job so dont worry too much...

    ReplyDelete
  6. am learning about HPLC rite now.....

    anyway,good luck for ur future interviews

    ReplyDelete
  7. i also wishing u all the best. no worries.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a good experience. You'll be better at your next interview. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. was trying to recall where i came across this HLPC thingy. n at last i remembered. haha

    it's used for hemoglobin synthesis for thalassaemic patients.

    guess that's the only thing i know abt hplc.

    anyway, all the best! hope u get the job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey will have an interview this Friday... Just want to say... dude relax la. The interviewee job is tough enough... if you can be relax maybe it would be easier for both of you.

    And there are more science in being a salesman than sitting in the lab. If the interview failed to give you a hint, maybe some weeks with the salesman thing will do it.

    I believe the offer letter will have a period of time where either of you can terminate the service without notice. May be of your advantage.

    ReplyDelete
  11. jason: dont think they will consider me since no reply from them for so long.

    carpe diem: yea an eye opening Q&A session haha. but what is the product of the stripes?

    nicholas: yes waiting for more openings.

    william: dont think chemistry people would consider biochem people. afterall, they study 3 years of chemistry, i only study 1 sem.

    jeff: dream job? no such thing la XD.

    ichimaru: study properly ^^

    koala: thanks wor.

    dove: i am sure i will be better,

    lucifer: there a lot of features where hplc is useful. nostalgic lol

    yin koon: i hate sales la. so how's your interview?




    [Jino] - A man's not a man unless he knows how to shoot

    ReplyDelete
  12. Friday is my second interview. I had quit my current job.

    ReplyDelete